The Office of the IRB (OIRB) facilitates the UNM IRB for Main Campus. It is the commitment of the OIRB to promote the safety and protection of people involved in human research by providing support, guidance, and education to facilitate ethical and scientifically sound research. The OIRB serves UNM Main and Branch Campus student, staff, and faculty researchers.
Federal-wide Assurance Number: FWA00004690 | Expires: 05/16/2021
IRB registration number: IRB00000431
The UNM IRB is one component of The University of New Mexico Human Research Protections Program (UNM HRPP). See more about the UNM HRPP.
Graduate Student IRB Member
The UNM IRB is now accepting applications for the Graduate Student IRB Member for 2020. This is an exciting opportunity for graduate and professional students to get an inside look at the himan research protections program at UNM and a practical research ethics experience. For more information, please see the Info Sheet. To apply, please complete the following and submit by November 15th, 2019:
1. Graduate Student IRB Member Application located in the IRB Library Forms page
2. A current CV or resume
3. A letter of recommendation from your faculty advisor or department chair
Applications should be sent to IRBMainCampus@unm.edu.
Effective September 1, 2019, all New Projects submitted to the UNM IRB for review must, at a minimum, contain the following MANDATORY documents. Please note that these three documents are not the only documents that must be submitted; other required documents are clearly delineated in the New Project Submission Checklist in the IRB Library.
1. IRB Protocol (in Word format)
2. Project Information Form (signed by PI and Student Investigator, if applicable in PDF format)
3. Scientific Validity Review Form (signed by Reviewer in PDF format) OR if federally funded, email evidence of federal peer review (in PDF format)
If these documents are not included, the New Project will be withdrawn at intake without being processed. If you wish to re-submit (a complete package) to the UNM IRB, a new project must be created in IRBNet.